Monday, March 4, 2013

Wiki & Chapter 8

                          

The Wicked Wikis

Last Wednesday, we got in to the group and discussed about discourse communities and comics that we made or chose. That group was going to my group which is Wicked Wikis. We had group homework on the wiki. The homework was to post one of our paragraphs from our writing project 1 and then revise each group members’ paragraphs. It was kind of hard to do it because if I did not really understand peers’ main point or ideas, then I might edit my peers' paragraphs all wrongly. Also, if the other classmates are editing a paragraph at the same time, it could be all out of topic, so I read really carefully and then edited them.

When I revised group members’ paragraph, I edited the sentences to make them more understandable. Also, I added some grammatical errors and sentence structures. I felt that some of the words were too colloquial so I changed words academically or removed the colloquial words. In one of my group member’s paragraph, I added some words and added a little bit more of commentary to the quote. I just feel that the quote did not have enough commentaries, so I added on two more sentences after the quote. In another group member’s paragraph, I edited the grammar and sentences. I think that the way the sentence was originally is too confusing and so I changed just a few words to make it more easy to understand.

In my paragraph, I can see my grammar issues were fixed and they added some more words to make it flow. My peers changed some sentences to make them flow and connected them to each sentences. It looks better and it is more understandable now. They also removed a sentence that didn't really fit in with my point.


Chapter 8

                       

When you are writing academically, you need to put evidences to support your ideas. You cannot just say your thoughts without evidence. It cannot persuade your reader. In chapter 8 “Reasoning from Evidence to Claims,” of Writing Analytically was about how to use evidence to improve your writing and develop your ideas, rather than just trying to prove you are correct. This chapter mentions there cannot be claims without evidence and evidence without claims. The evidences are enough to make a thing as true and believable. Also, you should make sure that there is a relationship between the evidence and the claims. And it is better if you make the details speak out which shows that you considered how the evidence complicates the claims. Using evidence can support my ideas more and show that I understand what I am arguing for. These strategies are going to be in my strategy toolbox. 

No comments:

Post a Comment